Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Michele Bravo Playing With Fire Chapter 23

I.

Michele Bravo tore herself from Tiny’s side. She had enjoyed the last three hours immensely. Tiny had been witty, charming, and extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of life in Australia.

He’d also been totally immersed in her, paying attention to no one else, making her feel as if she were the only woman in the world. She enjoyed the experience, even though she recognized the technique. He’d been doing his best to seduce her, and she’d played along with him, knowing that he knew that she knew what he was trying to do.

At one point he’d murmured, “Your chap’s gone upstairs.”

“Damn,” said Michele. “I knew he wasn’t feeling well. I should have postponed this party until tomorrow.”

“Shall we call it off?”

“No, no, Jan and I had discussed this earlier. The show goes on. Now, you were telling me about Lightning Ridge.”

And Tiny went back to telling her about Lightning Ridge.

II.

Michele entered her bedroom, flicking on the light. She stopped short – Gus Keller was lying face down on *her bed.

Damn. Well, she’d just go spend the night in * his room.

Before she could turn off the light, Keller had rolled over and opened his eyes. On seeing her, he sat up.

“Sorry,” she said. “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“What time is it?” he asked thickly.

“Just gone midnight. The party was a complete success.”

“I just bet,” said Keller, gruffly.

Michele stared at him. She didn’t like his tone. Well, she’d have to excuse him; his head must still hurt.

“I saw you came up early. Need some aspirin?”

“No, I’m feeling fine. So, the party. You sure looked like you were enjoying yourself.”

“Yes, Pretorious is a very charming man.”

“Sexy too, eh?”

“Yes, very sexy,” Michele snapped, growing more annoyed with his tone. What was going on here, what was he driving at?

“Is there something you want to say, Keller?” she demanded.

“I just didn’t like the way you were hanging all over him, that’s all,” he said. “I’m surprised you ended up here instead of in his bedroom.”

“He’s not staying in the house,” Michele retorted.

Jeez, if she didn’t know any better, she’d say he was jealous. Which was ridiculous, on so many levels. But…kind of interesting, too.

“Look, Keller,” she said placatingly. “I told you I was going to vamp Pretorius, and I did. It was all part of the job. But if it will make you feel any better, let’s proceed to the next part of the job. Shall we discuss how we’re going to kill him?”

He stared at her for several seconds, blinking, face expresssionless.

“Well?” she demanded.

“My head is hurting,” he said fretfully. “Can I get a couple of aspirin?”

“Of course.” She walked into the bathroom and came out with a couple of pills and a glass of water.

Keller took them and downed them quickly.

“Sorry to have been such a bear,” he said. “ I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.”

“Not to worry. Now, maybe you’d better take off those clothes and…”

“Is that an invitation?” Keller asked.

“You are feeling better,” Michele laughed. And you’re being much more forward than you’ve ever been before. That knock on the head seems to have changed your personality. I kind of like it…but not tonight.

“I want you to sleep, Keller. I need you at full strength tomorrow. So just take off your clothes and go back to bed.“

“It’s easier to sleep with a warm body next to mine.”

“I shall take a shower and change into my jimjams, and then I will come to bed. To sleep.”

“You’re the boss,” said Keller, beginning to unbutton his shirt.

Michele left him to his task while she went into the bathroom – locking the door behind her. She took a long, hot shower, then changed, as she had promised, into her pajamas – for she wore pajamas rather than nightgowns – and returned to the bedroom.

Keller was asleep once more.

Michele turned out the light, then joined him on the bed. She was very aware of the warmth of his body next to hers as she drifted off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment